What Does pH Mean?
PH stands for potential hydrogen. It is the measurement of hydrogen-ion concentration. The pH scale runs from 0 to 14…..A reading of 7.0 or above is alkaline and below 7.0 is acidic. The higher a pH reading the more oxygen is in the fluid you are testing and the lower the pH reading indicates less oxygen and more acid.
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 (ideal range) 7.5 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
How Would I Know if My Body is Acidic?
1) Testing your saliva and urine pH at home is easy and will give you an excellent place to start. Urine and saliva are good indicators of what is going on in your internal environment. You can test the pH of these fluids with Alkalive pH strips, which are super sensitive, accurate, easy to use and available on our shopping cart. They have 2 color indicators for a more accurate read.
A pH reading of 7.0 to 7.5 is optimum for the saliva and indicates a body in good health, which is what we are aiming for. Acids leave the body through the urine, so it should be slightly acidic. More specific details are covered in chapter 2 in the book The Acid-Alkaline Diet.
2) Secondly, what you eat and drink every day will give you a good indication, if you think your body might be acidic. How acidic or alkaline your body is, directly affects your health and is controlled by what you eat, drink and breathe. Most people eat The SADD diet (standard american dead diet) processed, microwaved and/or fast food on a daily basis; and often coffee, sodas and alcohol. (Not to mention pharmaceuticals)
These toxic foods, drinks and substances are nutrient deficient, acidic and create a burden on the liver, kidney, heart, digestive tract and so on. A few of the commonly know toxins are found in:
** Mercury amalgam fillings, fish
** Aluminum in cookware, sodas, toothpaste, deodorant etc.
** Environment pollutants in the air we breathe i.e. exhaust, smoke,
fumes, plastics, industrial chemicals etc.
** Water – chemicals, chlorine, polluted lakes, rivers, streams,
often bottled water absorbs toxins from the plastic bottle itself
** Food – herbicides, pesticides, food additives,
preservatives, hydrologized vegetable protein (aka msg,) etc.
** Pesticides and fertilizers we use at home
** Toxic thoughts and emotions
** Before you become overwhelmed….Please know there is a lot of support available in products that will help you get a good start in removing these acids and toxins and creating an alkaline state in the body. I've walked this walk! ** (More about this below)
The Acid-Alkaline Diet is an excellent read - written by Christopher Vasey, N.D.
This book offers a detailed explanation of the acid-alkaline balance and how to correct it when it is out of balance. It covers….
* Cleansing, detoxifying and eliminating excess acids in the body
* Provides menus and snacks for alkalinizing the body
* Explains how acidification of the body makes it sick contributing to
disorders such as chronic fatigue syndrome, eczema, ulcers, etc.
* Categorizes food according to its acidifying or alkalizing effect on the
body, rather than by chemical composition
* Contains food tables to help readers design the best diet for their health
* Discusses alkaline supplements, alkaline water
A word about CANCER ~
The higher the pH reading, the more alkaline and oxygen rich the fluid you are testing will be. At a pH of 7.4 cancer cells become dormant and at pH of 8.5 cancer cells die.
3) If you have had cancer, viruses, candida albicans…or lack energy, experience frequent colds, and fatigue these are all good signs of an acidic internal environment. When the body is acidic you may also have a tendency towards acid reflux, gastritis, ulcers, tendency to diarrhea, and/or constipation, skin problems, arthritis to name a few.
When looking at cancer, normal, healthy cells are alkaline and cancer cells that are malignant are acidic. Many research projects, studies and publications have proven that cancer, candida and viruses cannot survive in an oxygenated, alkaline environment. Yes, cancer cells cannot survive in an oxygen rich alkaline environment. At a pH of 7.4 cancer cells become dormant and at a pH of 8.5 cancer cells die.
The book Acid & Alkaline by Herman Aihara is an account of the acid and alkaline health condition and the effects on the human body. He wrote ~
"If the condition of our extra-cellular fluids, especially the blood, becomes acidic, our physical conditions will first manifest tiredness, proneness to catching colds, etc. When these fluids become more acidic, our condition then manifests pains and suffering such as headaches, chest pains, stomach aches, etc.
According to Keiichi Morishita in his Hidden Truth of Cancer, if the blood develops a more acidic condition, then our body inevitably deposits these excess acidic substances in some area of the body such so that the blood will be able to maintain an alkaline condition.
As this tendency continues, such areas increase in acidity and some cells die; then these dead cells themselves turn into acids. However, some other cells may adapt in that environment. In other words, instead of dying – as normal cells do in an acid environment – some cells survive by becoming abnormal cells. These abnormal cells are called malignant cells. Malignant cells do not correspond with brain function or with our own DNA memory code.
Therefore, malignant cells grow indefinitely and without order.
This is cancer."